Monday 13 July 2015

My Great Scottish Swim

Swimmers
Swimmers in Loch Lomond

Veering away from self-sufficiency and gardens for a moment...

I have signed myself up to do the Great Scottish Swim. This is one of many swims that take place across the country. There are different lengths of swim at each venue, to suit all levels of swimming ability.

This swim is in Loch Lomond, which is perhaps an hours drive from us, and offers, I think four different swim lengths. 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile and (for some reason) 5 km. Not sure why there is a unit change but there you go.

I am a relatively competent swimmer but am still working on my fitness levels. I have also never done open water swimming before so I have chosen to do the shortest distance, the 1/2 mile. For those wondering how long that is it is roughly 32 lengths of a 25m pool. I figured I could probably have physically managed the 1 mile length but as its open water, cold, waves... whatever, I don't know what to expect, so better to be safe than sorry!

As Loch Lomond is not, as far as I'm aware, heated in any way a wet suit is required. Well, here's a world I know nothing about! And if you are in the middle of any weight loss programme the wet suit will NOT make you feel like you've got anywhere! After research, I found I was the biggest size of every make of wetsuit! (And that's with a two stone weight loss after my baby). And after three (yes, three) attempts to get the thing on it is not at all flattering! But it has made me feel like this is really happening!

Swim on my friends!

 

To find out more about the Scottish Swim, and the others, check out the website: here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!